Adding .wrl file

All topics on the Atoms in any Enterprise Dynamics Library.
mohamed_88

Adding .wrl file

Post by mohamed_88 »

Hi,
I created a vrml (.wrl) file using PTC Creo. However, when I try importing it as a 3D icon, i get an error saying "No 3D model was loaded". What could be the problem?

Looking forward to your reply.
HarryBunnik

Re: Adding .wrl file

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Mohamed_88,

That is a message I don't see so often. To first cover the basics; I take it you went to the "Resource manager", the tab 3D models and pressed there the Add button to load in your .wrl file, right?

If so, I have a few general questions:

• What size does the file has? Sometimes exports from CAD programs, are so detailed that they are very hard to work with in other programs.
  • Do you by any chance have another 3D program then PTC Creo and can you load the model there? Just to check if the file is correct.
  • Is it by any chance possible to send me the model, so I can have a closer look at what it might be? If you want to keep the file off the forum, I can sen you my e-mail address using a private message.
Hopefully that with these questions we can start to locate the problem,

Cheers,

Harry
mohamed_88

Post by mohamed_88 »

Thanks for the reply Harry. Please send me your email address so that I can send the file.

Thanks.

Mohamed
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Mohamed,

I received your file via e-mail and indeed get the same error. When I open the file in a text editor, I see that the export of proEngineer creates a .wrl file which contains some additional information which is causing this problem. Unfortunately I don't have proEngineer, but using Google gave me a some forums with similar problems ( http://forum.worldviz.com/showthread.php?t=162 ) and some possible solutions.
  • As said, I'm not in the position to check, but is there an option to export the file to a wrml 1.0 standard and try loading it in ED again?
  • Another option might be to load the .wrl in a more "forgiving" 3D program and save it there to again a vrml file. in many cases this will solve the problem.
  • Finally I found a forum ( http://ww3.cad.de/foren/ubb/Forum12/HTML/020342.shtml ) where they suggest to add the following "allow_4dnav_export yes" to the "config.pro". This would add another export option (4D Navigator (*.wrl)), which also is supposed to contain less unwanted data.
I hope that one of these suggestions solves your problem. Otherwise we have to look a bit further.

Cheers,

Harry
mohamed_88

Post by mohamed_88 »

Hi Harry,

The third option worked for me. Thank you for the assistance.

Thanks.

Mohamed
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Great, I'm happy we found a way around the problem!

Cheers,

Harry