A Movie Creator

All topics on the Atoms in any Enterprise Dynamics Library.
HarryBunnik

A Movie Creator

Post by HarryBunnik »

As an addition to the MovieDirector as can be found in ED, a new atom is created offering more option with a higher level of user friendliness. NOTE that the atom will only work from ED 8.2.5.

The version posted here is stable and already used by INCONTROL to create several movies. At this time the atom is considered stable enough, but needs some additional testing.

So if you want to try, you're more than welcome!

I've added the latest version of this atom to this message in a .zip file. In the file there is also a Quick start available, which explains the functionality of the atom.
To install the atom, you have to copy the 2 directories (Atoms and Media) to the ED installation directory and than load the atom into your library.

For any bugs, improvements and other thoughts, feel free to post them here, so perhaps we can include them with later releases!

Have fun making movies!

Cheers,

Harry
Attachments
MovieCreator Beta.zip
New ED Movie Creator Beta version
(780.64 KiB) Downloaded 895 times
LAC-Bursi

Re: A Movie Creator

Post by LAC-Bursi »

Hi,
I'm trying to use this atom, but i have two several problems:
the first one is that i can't save the file.avi:

Compile error: "" is not a valid expression. Reference: GUIcontrol([edtQuestion],GUIset([Text],MovieCreator_GetMovieFileName(GUIatom))))

the second one concerns the codec and it is the following:

Thanks in advance

Fabio
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Fabio,

Thank for your response and I'm sorry to read you have some problems.

First the saving.

What is the name you gave to the movie you want to save? Since it appears that the string you've entered isn't accepted and even empty.

The second part:

There are a few codecs that are giving trouble with ED, so I try to filter them out and to give a message when an incorrect codec is used. Is it happening with all the codes you use? One that I normally take and works well is the "Cinepack codec by Radius" or the "Uncompressed frames". When these also give issues, I may have to remove the check.

I hope this helps you a bit and otherwise I hope to hear from you,

Cheers,

Harry
LAC-Bursi

Post by LAC-Bursi »

I tried to used all available codecs, but in any cases doesn't run.

If I want to use the Movie Creator atom, do I have to drag into the model any other atoms? (ex. Movie Director atom)
Or should I modify the Logistics Suite library?

Thanks for your commitment

Fabio
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Fabio,

I've made an adjustment in the atom. Now it will no longer check if a codec is working (I'm afraid you will now only see that after making a short test movie), but the check I had implemented now, is apparently too strict.

Here you have a new version of the movie creator. If you replace the files I gave earlier I have good hope that this works better.
MovieCreator Beta_001.zip
Movie Creator Beta 001
(780.65 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
And yes, you indeed have to drag the atom into your model. When the model is running, all visualization of the MovieCreator atom is turned off so it won't show up in any recordings.

Thank you for helping me to find these errors. The problem is always to test it on other computer configurations, where different problems can pop-up, so this helps me a lot!

Cheers,

Harry
LAC-Bursi

Post by LAC-Bursi »

Hi Harry,
I used the new version, but i still have some problem.

I set the correct path directory, file name and static type of camera.

This is the setting of Movie Creator atom:

the codec used is "Uncompressed frames"
(the monitor resolution is 1920x1080)

but at the end of recording, the file .avi wasn't created

How can I change the setting? How can I create the file .avi?

Thanks

Fabio
LAC-Bursi

Post by LAC-Bursi »

when the recording starts appears this message error:

HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Fabio,

Hmm... Now it gets more difficult, since the things you mention are working fine on my computer. And the .avi file must be created by the atom itself, so apparently it goes wrong there.

First the obvious, just to have them out of the way:
  • I take it that you have rights to write to the assigned directory where you want to save you .avi?
  • You use the timer button to start your recording? (but since you have a recording which starts, I think you do)
  • Which version of Windows are you using?
  • Which version of ED are you using?
  • Can you try to copy and executing the following code from the interact (SHIFT + F6), after you've opened one single 3D animation window (and please replace the "C:\Test356" to a directory where you're allowed to write data.)

Code: Select all

Do(
      avicreatestart([C:\Test356.avi],25, Active3d),
      Repeat(
        AviCreateFrame
      ),
      AviCreateStop
    )
    This code will create a movie of 50 equal frames based on what is shown in the just opened 3D animation window. This allows me to see if something goes wrong in my atom, or that it lies deeper.
As far as the Access violation is concerned, that is something that haven't happened to me yet either, but probably has to do with the problem of starting to create a movie. So lets first try to solve that one, before trying to solve an access violation...

Cheers,

Harry
LAC-Bursi

Post by LAC-Bursi »

Hi Harry,

I didn't have the rights to writing, I'm sorry for my fault.

Now the recording runs!!!

I have one last question:

when recording starts the simulation speed (no recording speed) is automatically set to maximum, and in this way the status monitor don't update, how can I set the correct speed?

Thanks for your commitment

Fabio
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Fabio,

Great that it works :-)

And that is indeed what I wouldn't have found. I've heard from a colleague that the monitors (which I hardly use in my projects) don't update when the runspeed is so high. So I've now adjusted the runspeed for recording to a value very close, but smaller. Unfortunately I have to go in a meeting right now, so I haven't tested it myself, but I think it should work. Otherwise please let me know, than I have to try something else.
MovieCreator Beta_002.zip
(780.65 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Cheers,

Harry