pick and store in a Warehouse

All topics specific to modeling questions in Enterprise Dynamics
marlies

Re: pick and store in a Warehouse

Post by marlies »

Hi KleinePia,

I had a look at your model, but was a bit confused about what you need. Could you explain what the Pickers should do?
- When do they need to pick a product? As soon as something becomes available in their lane?
- Where should the pickers bring the picked products?

Regards, Marlies
kleinepia

Post by kleinepia »

hey Marlies,

thanks for looking at my modell.. indeed I found my mistake and the modell is working.

Now I have a new problem: I need to fill the warehouses with a ground stock
(119209 of product A, 6505 of product B, 1452 of product C and 1347 of product D = 128.513 total)
these are in a excel file and the Excel Active X-Atom is already linked in the modell.

how can I say that these different groups of products have to get in the different warehouses?
For example: the ground stock of 119209 product of A have to splitt up into 12 warehouses by 3 Storage-Transporter. After that the daily process of storage and picking should start.

thanks for help in advance
Pia
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hey Pia,

You would need to create a label on your products when they are created in the source. Something like

Code: Select all

Label([ProductType],i)
and then assign a value to represent the different producttypes. Then you can use this label in the sendto stament of your atoms to get the products in the right warehouses.

One question: do you really need so much products as you describe? Or could you combine different products e.g. on Pallet level? With so many products your model might get slow.

Regards, Marlies
kleinepia

Post by kleinepia »

Hey Marlies,

yes I need all these products because this are my real figures.
Please have a look at the attached excel file.
I slitt the products into A,B,C,D - artikel which should be sorted into different warehouses.

In the Initialize-Atome I created a code
Do(
Dim([ProductA],vbValue,1346),
Dim([ProductB],vbValue,1347),
Dim([ProductC],vbValue,1347),
Dim([ProductD],vbValue,1347)
)

Every Product-group has to splitt up into 12 different warehouses.
For give you a better overwiev I attached also a screenshort. I cant attach the hole model because there are to many internal-informations :( (maybe it is possible to sent it to you by EMail?)

Here you can see that there are 2 sources which splitt the products into different septions of the hole warehouse. The output of the 3 small queues are connected with the advances transporter which should store the different products in the right warehouse.
now I need a code for the advanced transporter who tells him in which of the for different warehousesA the products of A has to be stored.
Or is there any other way?
Also I want that ED reads the quantities out of the excel file because the quantities will get less after the basic storage is done. Then I need just to store the daily stock.

Thanks in advance for your help
Pia
Attachments
Lagerbestand-gekürzt.xls
(373 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Screenshort Modell.docx
(271.42 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi Pia,

To give you better advice for your model I would like to know what kind of questions you need to answer with the model you are building? This is really important to decide about the best way to build the model. If you are interested in (e.g.) the required number of pickers or in the required warehouse capacity makes a big difference.

I prepared a small example model for you to show you how you could start thinking about a warehouse where you need to analyze the required number of pickers. In that case I would advise:
- Make a split in the inbound and outbound flow. Define a list with putaway assignments and a list with pickassignments and generate the products for these assignments separately.
- The inbound orders are generated when for example a truck arrives at the warehouse and the pickers start to putaway everything into the warehouse.
- The outbound orders are generated as soon as there is a pick request for a certain product. Look in my example model how I just connected the outbound queue to the warehouses in order to get the products at the right locations. As soon as the products enter the warehouse atoms, a pick assignment for the trucks is generated.
- Look at the sendto statement of the transporter how I use the label producttype to define the right warehouse location.
- Instead of modelling every single item, I would still like to know if it is possible to aggregate your input data on a higher level. For example: the pick request says that I need 10 parts of product A. When these products are all in the same location I would create 1 product, the load time of the truck could depend on the number of items to pick. I did something like this in the example model. Check the loadtime of the transporter for this.

I hope this gives you some ideas to continue, if you need more input, could you please explain what the main question for your model is?

Good luck!

Regards, Marlies
Attachments
20121122_Warehouse_PickStrategy3.mod
(73.06 KiB) Downloaded 322 times