Performance Issues

All topics specific to modeling questions in Enterprise Dynamics
ngsim

Performance Issues

Post by ngsim »

Hello

I am currently building the 3D part of my model, and when I ED and next the 3D view everything is running smoothly and nice. Within a couple of minutes the performance decreases drastically and when moving around the 3D view it is going very slow.

What I dont understand is why it runs smooth in the start and then changes. Is it because it hasn't loaded all atoms in the beginning? Is it just because my computer isn't good enough? Or can it be caused by some setup-related issue in relation to my computer or ED that makes the 3D part very slow eating up processing power and ram? I have 105 atoms in my model and it does not run when im in 3D view.
I have set my graphic card to run for optimal performance.

My computer has got the following specs:

Intel Core I3 M350, 2.27 GHz
4 GB Ram
Windows 7
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (1GB dedicated to graphics)

Hope some of you guys has an idea of what might be wrong.

Thanks
HarryBunnik

Re: Performance Issues

Post by HarryBunnik »

Hello,

So if I understand correctly, you have a model and at the beginning the simulation it's running fine. But when you're some time into the simulation and pause it, the performance of your 3D animation has dropped?
  • Do you have your own 3D objects?
  • If so, how many custom 3D objects do you have at the start of the simulation and how many at the moment you experience sluggish behaviour?
  • If not, can you send me a print screen from your 3D viewer, so I can have some idea of what is all depicted?
Cheers,

Harry
ngsim

Post by ngsim »

Hi,

Well im not running the simulation. When I enter the 3D view the simulation is stopped and im just moving around in the 3D-viewer. And after 2-3 minutes the performance get very low. At the moment I have only built three planes extra into the model with their own texture.

Here are the screenshots of my model.

[img]screeshot.bmp[/img]

[img]screeshot1.bmp[/img]

I suspect that it might be because the model have not loaded all the model when I enter the 3D view and after that, my RAM and processors are overloaded.
It is important to say that it is only in 3D. The model runs perfectly in 2D.
ngsim

Post by ngsim »

And here are the pictures. :) Obviously the other thing I tried didn't work :D
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
screenshot1.jpg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 1
screenshot1.jpg (120.54 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
Attachments
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 2
screenshot.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 8956 times
ngsim

Post by ngsim »

Could it be some settings in my chache? Its like something is getting filled during the time if have got the model open and then slows the model down.

I have experienced something similar on this laptop earlier when I was running a model for 400 hours. After opening the model and running the first simulation the speed was high and nice, but already on the second 400 hour run the speed was reduced drastically, so instead of running the second time I saved my work, closed the model and started it again. After this I had a high performance again.

To me it seems like some settings are wrong.

Hope this can help you guys to help me :)
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Have you already tried to install the latest video drivers? That sometimes solves a lot of problems. :)

Cheers,

Harry
ngsim

Post by ngsim »

Hi,

Tried it already and unfortunately it didnt work. Can you see if my specs are the cause to the problem?
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Shame that it doesn't help...

Can you perhaps send me the model, so I can get a more clear idea about what is causing it? If you prefer you can send it using a Personal Message (PM button on the left side).
ngsim

Post by ngsim »

Hi Harry

Here is the model. I dont think the attach model is enabled in PM.
Attachments
Model v40.mod
(293.09 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Hello,

Thanks for the model.

I opened it and looked in the 3D viewer, but I don't have the impression that the performance is getting sluggish. I also ran the model and (besides some errors for divisions by zero which probably are caused by not setting some settings) I found no problems.

When loading the model, I did miss some images (about 3). Are some of these images perhaps very heavy, or used very often? Could you rename them and run the model again to see if that helps?

Because the specifications from your computer should be more than sufficient.

Cheers,

Harry