import a .3ds file

All topics on the Atoms in any Enterprise Dynamics Library.
LAC-Ferrara

import a .3ds file

Post by LAC-Ferrara »

Dear all, good morning

I have downloaded a licensed .3ds from a dedicated 3D models web site, but when I import it on ED some details are not shown. I'm sure that all meshes are correctly imported, but some logos and details missed. How can I solve the problem?

PS: I haven't got a 3D Studio license in order to manipulate the file.

Thanks
Greetings
Andrea
HarryBunnik

Re: import a .3ds file

Post by HarryBunnik »

Hello Andrea,

That sounds strange. You have all the images (I guess that the logo's and so on are made by using images) standing in the same directory? Do you have any other programs which can show 3D objects and is it shown correctly in those?

If that is the case, but it still goes wrong, I can have a look for you, but than you've got to send me the .3ds file and all related files as you have downloaded them from the dedicated website. If you prefer, you can do that by sending me a Private Message.

Kind regards,

Harry
LAC-Ferrara

Post by LAC-Ferrara »

Dear Harry,

thank you very much for your response,

ok I send you a private message with the file and some further information

Thanks
Greetings
Andrea
HarryBunnik

Post by HarryBunnik »

Hello Andrea,

I've received your message and looked at the 3D object and see a few interesting things:
  • First there is an enormous plane under the object you're interested in.
  • The object itself is scaled (centimeters as meters? Something like that).
  • And it's not located at the center or origin, but quite some distance away.
This altogether results in strange behavior of ED. When I scale the object down (in a 3D drawing program), remove the plane under it and center it at the origin, it loads nicely in ED.

I only have to warn you that this object has relatively many polygons, which may make the 3D visualization sluggish when you try to depict many of these objects.

As far as 3D software, I have not really an advise. I use a software package that is no longer on the market to convert it to Lightwave, which I use as my 3D software. Perhaps Blender (a free 3D software program, with quite some add-ons to convert files) is an option for you, but I have little experience with.

I hope this answer helps you.

Kind regards,

Harry