flipped geometry normals

All topics on the Atoms in any Enterprise Dynamics Library.
shibby

flipped geometry normals

Post by shibby »

Hi guys!

I'm importing a WRL model and the normals are flipped. Is there a button or what not to flip those?
By the way, how can i implement textures with transparancies?

cheers
HarryBunnik

Re: flipped geometry normals

Post by HarryBunnik »

Ha Shibby,

I fear this is an error within the .wrl functionality of ED. With the introduction of the ED 9 this problem will be solved, however that isn't helping you much at the moment...
  • An option is to already flip your model in a 3D modelling program. That way ED will flip it again.
  • Or you can, when you import the 3D model in the resource manager, indicate that the scaling around the Z value is -1. This will also solve your problem, but will mirror your object. In a 3D modeling program you can already mirror it yourself and thereby neutralizing this effect.
These are the workarounds I have at the moment. I hope they are of some use to you.

As far as transparent textures goes, I would suggest the use of an Alpha map, to indicate where you want your transparency to take effect.
  • If you load a texture (a raster image) in the resource manager, it shows the option to load an Alpha map. In this Alpha map (a picture of the same size as your texture) you can indicate what you want to be drawn by painting it white. And what you want to become transparent you paint black. If you then apply the texture on the object you want to draw, the black parts should turn transparent.
  • Another option is to select a specific color and indicate it has to be transparent. But this sometimes can cause strange transitions, which is why I would prefer the Alpha mapping.

If you have more questions, please let me know :-)

Cheers,

Harry