Save the scenario as a video file

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
Ken8891

Save the scenario as a video file

Post by Ken8891 »

Hi,

I would like to find out if it is possible to save the scenario into a video file, so that I can play the scenario in media player without opening the pedestrian dynamic software. If it is possible, could you provide the steps in doing it?

Best Regards,
Kenneth
marlies

Re: Save the scenario as a video file

Post by marlies »

Hi Kenneth,

It is possible to record videos for the 2D or 3D view.

The steps are as follows:

- Menu Display > 2D Viewer or 3D Viewer, us those to record a video based on a simulation run. Or: if you want to record the video based on scenario outputs in the result player (recommended), go to Results > 2d Output or 3d Output.
- In all those views, you'll see a button Record, click that one.
- Click the settings button. Here you can define the playback rate, recording time and size of the window for you video to be recorded.
- The next three buttons are to: start/pause recording. And to stop the recording.
- When you click start recording, PD will ask for a compressor. Recommended settings are: Microsoft Video 1 and Compression Quality 100.

The recording option will generate a .avi file which you can play using other players.

Kind regards,

Marlies
Ken8891

Post by Ken8891 »

Hi,

I have followed the steps as provided and the video is generated, however the video starting time is not from 00:00:00.

For example, this video will take 3 hours to complete which will be 03:00:00, but when i open the video file, it starts from 02:09:1, almost to the end of the video. Is it a lack of memory?

Best Regards
Kenneth
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi Kenneth,

If you record such long periods in the simulation, the avi file might become to big. However, in that case you won't be able to open the video at all. Based on your description I would expect that you pressed stop (not pause) and start recording somewhere around 02:09. Then PD will start recording a new video, which will overwrite the previous one if you didn't change the name of the resulting avi (setting file name in the window below).

In case you really need to record such a long period of the simulation, the following best practices might be helpful:

- Split up the movie in multiple shorter parts and combine and compress them afterwards using movie editing software.
- Increasing the frame interval will give you smaller video size as it will decrease the number of frames saved into the video. If you make it to big, you won't get a smooth video anymore (it will look as if agents jump), but increasing it to around 0.3 will still give good results. I am not sure about higher values.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.63 KiB) Viewed 14784 times
Regards, Marlies