Incident element / incident object

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
smith

Incident element / incident object

Post by smith »

Hello!

I am using Pedestrian Dynamics 2 (Version 2.0.1.1611). I need some kind of incident object, which appears after a certain time and the agents can not cross this obstacle.

Futhermore i need such an incident object to represent fire or a bomb suitcase, so the agents should avoid coming too close to that object.

I read something about an "incident element" and an "incident creator" available in Pedestrian Dynamics 2.0 Beta2, is that the solution for my problem?
marlies

Re: Incident element / incident object

Post by marlies »

Hello,

The element you mention is what is now called the Action Timer. You can use it to generate a trigger/event/incident at a certain time during the simulation.

To model the situation you describe, I see the following options:
- In the next version of Pedestrian Dynamics (3.0) we do have elements called local obstacles. Those local obstacles can be added to the model without changing the network. This enables you to activate the area after a certain time of simulation. Before activiation agents can walk through the area, after activation agents will not walk through the area, but walk around it. You can use the obstacle to model a range of space around the object that should be avoided.
- However, it could be that you are looking for an element where agents not only avoid/walk around, but really walk away from the space. That would require more like an action area, where agents, when they enter the area choose the opposite direction to walk.

Please let me know which from the above describes best what you're looking for.

Kind Regards, Marlies
smith

Post by smith »

Hello Marlies,

thank you for your help!! Both would be good and really useful.

We want to start with the frist one: We tried to build such an object with a combination of an ActionTimer and an Opening. We connected the output channel of the ActionTimer with the channel of the Opening and set the value "0" in the ECM settings "Block sides" of the Opening. In the event trigger field of the ActionTime we wrote "ActionTimer_UpdateAllConnectedOpenings(c, DIRECTION_UNAVAILABLE)" and set a certain time in the event time field. But it didnt work! :-(

We also tried some other commands like "ActionTimer_UpdateAllConnectedOpenings(c, BLOCKSIDES_TOP)" and "ActionTimer_UpdateAllConnectedOpenings(c, BLOCKSIDES_LEFT)", ... but it didnt work too ... .

Do you know the solution?
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hello,

Your approach might work when you use a passageway instead of an opening, but you'll have to make sure that the passageway is placed over a network line to make the networkline not available. However I do think that the local obstacle option will work better. I will send you some info by mail.

Regards, Marlies
smith

Post by smith »

Thank you for your email! I will resond on that.

If we use a passageway instead of an opening maybe we will not get the desired result, because the passageway is reduced to one or two directions (forming a gateway) but we need "all directions". Think of an obstacle in the middle of an intersection for example ... . Thanks again!