3D background not showing (greyed out)

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
sebass

3D background not showing (greyed out)

Post by sebass »

I am currently using the trial, and am unable to show background jpeg image in 3D (it's greyed out). Is that a limitation of the trial version or am i missing something? I have seen your video on youtube that showed 3D google earth buildings, how do i go about creating that?
marlies

Re: 3D background not showing (greyed out)

Post by marlies »

Hi Sebass,

It is true that jpg files cannot be added to a height layer as a background in 3D. Jpg is not the best format to use as a background, because it doesn't contain vector information and good scaling is difficult. However it is possible to visualize a jpg in 3D. To do that: go to the Textures tab in the height layer window. Add the jpg as a texture and select it in the drop down box. Afterwards you should see the jpg in 3D.

Then your question regarding the 3D on youtube: this is a model based on a CityGML file. To find out how that works, please have a look at the CityGML example model which can be found in Models > Example Models > CityGML. CityGML files contains information about the buildings in a city area and these will be imported as obstacles in PD. However the visualization of the buildings (the 3D textures as shown in the youtube movie) is not always available in CityGML.

Kind regards,

Marlies