Queuing in PD

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
ie_1989

Re: Queuing in PD

Post by ie_1989 »

What a BUG :) Thank you so much... I did what you said on my original file. It seems it works. I have just encountered error 1005 during my simulations... What is the main reason for this error? I have attached my final file.
Attachments
model4.mod
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

I just ran the simulation for over 3 hours without any error messages. But the general approach to solve these kind of errors is:

- Open the help and go the tab search.
- type in 1005 and search. this will return the topic Running a simulation.
- double click and you'll find the explanation of routing errors in IRM Routing problems. 1005 says: No route could be found between the start and goal location. There are two possible causes: 1) a corridor is too small for agents to pass it (not enough clearance) or the direction passageway or infrastructural element prevents agents from using it.

Next step is to find out on which route you got this problem. The error message gives you information about the coordinates of the start location and end loation of the route. You can find those locations by: go to Modeling > Show Location. Type in the coordinates from the error message and click show.

When you know both start and end location it is about checking the most logical path in between to find out where the route might be to narrow or where the route is blocked by passageways having the wrong direction.

Regards, Marlies
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

Thanks for running my file. I forgot to mention that I don't encounter the error every time I run the model. Some times it doesn't show any type of errors. Can you run it 3 or 4 times?
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

I want to simulate an evacuation situation in my model. I have considered the example evacuation models. In those models the direction of some of the passageways are "Unavailable". When the evacuation starts they become "Bidirectional". I have put some passageways of this type in my model, as well But they don't become Bidirectional after evacuation begins. I have attached both the example model "convention center evacuate 2" and my model "Model 6".
Attachments
model6.mod
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 286 times
convention center evacuate 2.mod
(235.75 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

In reply to your post about the error message: I did run it multiple times and still didn't get the error. But anyway, my advice to find the cause of the error wouldn't change :-). So, maybe you could first find out the start and end location, once you bump into the message. Then follow the most logical path in between those 2 locations and check it on width (which should be at least the agent's diameter) and direction.

Then the comment about the passageways. I did check your model. Ran the simulation: it stops at 30 minutes and the passageways change from red crosses to green arrows. So, the direction does change, also I couldn'r find anything wrong in the settings of the action timer in your model.

So: may I ask if you still have the red crosses in the passageways at time 30 minutes? Or did you mean that agents don't use them although the passageways are available?

Regards, Marlies
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

The problem with the Action Timer was solved. But regarding the first problem I did what you recommended... I was able to see the origin and the destination location in the error but I was not able to find the bottleneck of the route because other agents follow the similar route. So I couldn't find the bug. Does this type of error depend on the system on which the model is run?
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

Now I did get this error. Question:

If you get it, are there agents hanging halway the escalators from level -3 to level -4?

In that case try closing the space behind the escalator at layer -3 by adding an obstacle. So instead of:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (86.84 KiB) Viewed 24174 times
, something like this:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (86.84 KiB) Viewed 24174 times

And yes the network can be slightly different depending on the system, depending on the differences in videocard (again.. this is not happening in the latest version, I will let you know as soon as we have the new trial available!).

Regards, Marlies
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (118.56 KiB) Viewed 24174 times
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

Oh thank you so much
How did you find that agent got stuck there? I wasn't able to find it.
I have another question. I want to run an evacuation in my model. The escalators must not be available during evacuation. Unfortunately, When I make them unavailable, the agents on them got stuck and don't move anymore. Is there any way to make them empty before evacuation? I mean the agents currently using escalators should leave them and then the escalators become unavailable
Thanks for your kind help
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

I have a question about the new version of PD. Is it possible to work on a file saved by Pedestrian Dynamics 3.0 in the version 2.0 of the software?
I mean is the older version capable of opening the files created by the newer version?
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

No, that's not possible. What's the reason you're asking, do you experience any problem in 3.0?

Kind regards, Marlies