Importing a DWG file to PD

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
BPeter

Importing a DWG file to PD

Post by BPeter »

Dear InControl, or anyone familiar with the topic,

I'd like to use an AutoCAD drawing (.dwg) as the environment to simulate the pedestrian flows in.
Could someone help me how I could do it? I know I would have to mount it as a background of the height layer, however
nothing seems to happen if I select it as the background and then press OK. No error message either.
The file version is ok, I saved it as a version 2007 A.cad file, and it shows up in the preview window in PD.
Now I have no idea what the problem might be, or what's the incorrect setting I missed. :?
marlies

Re: Importing a DWG file to PD

Post by marlies »

Hi Peter,

Sometimes the files need to be rescaled (e.g. use a scale factor of 0.001 when the drawing unit is mm instead of m). It might be the case that you do see something when you zoom out very much. In that case I would advise to try the rescale.

Please let me know if this helps or if we need to search for another solution!

Regards, Marlies
BPeter

Post by BPeter »

Thank you Marlies! You're right, the problem was with the scaling. Now it's ok!
gcarmelino

Post by gcarmelino »

Dear InControl Team,
I found this thread due to a similar experience like Peter's.
My AutoCad drawing has a dimension of 1600x1000m and is saved on both 2007 and 2004 versions.
I followed the posted solution of re-scaling when importing as background of the height layer but the "offscreen failed" message appears.

One additional thing is, when I try to utilize the drawing tools they do not work despite the icons are click-responsive.

Might some of these problem related to the use of an Academic license?

Thank you in advance for your concern.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Can you please give the exact error message you're getting?
The only offscreen error message I am aware off that can occur has to do with the loading an image on the videocard memory. Usually updating your video card drivers to the latest version (via the site of the manuafacturer) solves all video card issues we've seen so far.

If this driver update doesn't work. Then in this specific it might also be that you run out of video card memory. You're CAD file has quite large dimension and if there is a lot of detail in there you'll need quite some memory. How large is your saved CAD file? How much video card memory do you have available? You can see this via the right mouse click popup menu on your desktop screen. Open screen resolution and then advanced settings.