Queuing in PD

All topics related to questions in Pedestrian Dynamics
ie_1989

Re: Queuing in PD

Post by ie_1989 »

I have a question about the average speed of the agents. In the "Agent Profile" menu there are two fields to determine the minimum and the maximum value of the speed of and agent.How can I determine the average speed of an agent from these to values?
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hello,

These settings have the following meaning:

- The maximum speed of the agent is in fact the agent's desired speed in uncongested spaces. So an agent will walk at it's maximum speed if possible, but might have to slow down due to congestion. Each agent get's an individual maximum speed, therefore the setting maximum speed has a statistal distribution, by default:Triangular(1.35, 0.8, 1.75). When an agent is created it gets a maximum speed assigned based on this distribution.

- The minimum speed is applied when the simulation is run without collision detection. In that case the speed will never drop below the minimum.

So, there is no setting for the agents average speed. As it really depends on the routes/densities etc.

What are you looking for the average speed of agents based on the results or a setting?

Regards, Marlies
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

Hi, Thanks a lot for your quick response
I wanted to see the difference between the speed of agents in the cases of regular movement and emergency evacuation, respectively. Can I use the Total Distance and the Travel Time in the output results to compute it?
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

Yes, the outputs for travel times also gives you the mean value (in the legend) and in the tab distances you'll find the mean distance. That gives you the possibility to calculate the avg walking speed. NB the desired/maximum speed of the agents will not change in evacuation, if you expect the people to walk faster in free areas you'll have to update the speed of the agents in the response trigger of the action time. E.g. using:

Code: Select all

Agent_UpdateMaxSpeed(s, Agent_GetMaxSpeed(s) * { add some value here }) 
Kind regards,

Marlies
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

Thanks a lot, I have another question.
Does PD have limitation in showing a huge number of agents? In my file "E1", I have set the number of the agents to be generated 1000. But during simulation their number barely reaches 200.The generator's name is "E3_Outcoming", generating Agent profiles with ID 6 (their color is red).
Attachments
E1.rar
(223.92 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
marlies

Post by marlies »

Hi,

No there isn't a maximum, unless it has been defined in the user settings. Besides the number in the arrivallist, there is another setting that defines the maximum number of agents. Please goto:

Agent input > Agent generator > Tab General.

In this window check the max number of agents. It is set to 200. Which means that the generator will generate a maximum of 200 no matter what has been specified in the arrivallist. By default this max number of agents is -1 {unlimited}. In that case the numbers in the arrivallist will be leading!
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.81 KiB) Viewed 19033 times
Regards, Marlies
ie_1989

Post by ie_1989 »

Thanks a lot... it works :)